Friday, February 27, 2015

Self-assessment of understanding of cultural diversity issues in healthcare

 
One of my personal learning goals this semester is to compare communication conventions among diverse groups of people, and to than take what I have learned and apply it to my place of work. For example, some groups may prefer just a short, brief e-mail that is right to the point. While other groups of people may value a more informal face to face conversation.

I would like to learn more about "dominant" culture and make sure to not always use that. I need to learn how to take into affect other people's cultures and values. 

The biggest learning goal that I have this semester is to learn about my personal culture norms. I believe that once I have a better sense of my own norms I can use that knowledge to better understand and communicate with people with different cultural norms.

The end goal for me is to take what I learn from this class and apply it to the real world, I believe a class like this is highly capable of transferring over to real world use.

1 comment:

  1. Cody,

    I, like you, also wrote about my desire to implement lessons learned in this class at my workplace. While I'd like to believe that I already do this to some extent, I think it is important to remember that one can always learn more about different cultures, and also that what we have already learned about those cultures should be constantly reviewed.

    When speaking about how some groups of people may prefer an email as opposed to a face-to-face conversation, this is a difference I had not considered. I find it interesting because in our day in age, computers have become such an integral part of the way we communicate with each other. Your sentiment shed light on the fact that I, and probably many others, forget that certain groups of people have not embraced the computer as a way of communication, and instead, may see it as an unnecessary departure from personalized interactions.

    Thanks for your post,

    Amy Montgomery

    ReplyDelete