To what extent do my beliefs, prejudices or biases influence my thinking in terms of providing service in my profession or work?
I find that my bias towards people who don't act similar to me hinders my performance at the workplace at times. When serving others, if they don't act how I would act or respond in a similar way that I would I get upset more often than I should. I need to realize that people were raised differently and have different values than I do. Other times in the workplace I find that I may be prejudice upon seeing the way an individual appears, even though I haven't even met the person yet, potentially hindering any services provided in the future. I also sometimes let my beliefs over rule others' beliefs in the workplace, sometimes using my own beliefs to make decisions that someone with different beliefs may or may not make. This in turn could result in a different service provided, were a different choice made.
I answered true while the correct answer was false for the question, "Minority and immigrant patients in the US who go to traditional healers and use traditional medicines generally avoid conventional Western treatments." I figured that if they had their own set ways already they wouldn't bother with any alternatives, much like I wouldn't. I use traditional western treatments and never seek any other form. However, I realize some people are more open minded than I might be which is an area for growth for myself.
I answered true while the correct answer was false for the question, "Some symbols—a positive nod of the head, a pointing finger, a “thumbs-up” sign—are universal and can help bridge the language gap." Again, proving how I may be bias against other ways, I figured people around the world used the same symbols as I would.
I answered true while the correct answer was false for the question, "A really conscientious health provider can eliminate his or her own prejudices or negative assumptions about certain types of patients." I found this to be a great example of how I may overestimate my ability to remove bias/prejudice from a situation. I think this improvement comes overtime, since it is so ingrained in certain individuals who might not even realize it.
Both of these excerpts provide examples in areas I can improve on. Throughout this class I hope to improve on myself as an individual to better serve other people in both my professional and personal life.
I think your experiences with biases are pretty common Cody. It's general human nature to make assumptions about others, as well as to assume that your way of thinking or behaving is the superior or correct way.
ReplyDeleteI also think the last question you mentioned about the really conscientious health provider is kind of a trick question. I answered false to that one but only because I don't believe anyone is ever really able to fully remove their prejudice or negative assumptions. I think the "trick" part of it is that I do believe people can remove those from affecting the level of service or care they provide but they will still always have them. Being conscious and aware of these things now though is going to help lead you to be more successful.