My first learning goal was to compare communication conventions among a diverse group of people. I think that I was able to accomplish this through different assignments this semester. I learned about how different cultures were willing to talk about themselves when speaking with a doctor. Some were much more timid and didn't want to speak much, while others didn't want too much eye contact to be made. Others however, were more then willing to talk and converse back and forth with the doctor and even bring up their own thoughts on healthcare, such as their cultural practices. Some even voiced their concerns with having their bodies cut open due to religious beliefs.
I also wanted to learn about my cultural norms. I think that I did a great job discovering that throughout this semester. I was able to identify with certain groups or individuals throughout the semester and I realized okay I have the same beliefs as this group, or I also value these certain things. I think they now that I have a better understanding of my own position, I can make sure I don't let that cloud my judgement and understanding of others' beliefs/values/norms.
The end goal was to be able to take what I learn from this class and apply it in real life. I have found that after taking this class I've been more open to working and dealing with people from different cultural backgrounds. Whether this was on in-class assignments that were group orientated or at work, I was able to not be so judgmental and open to other suggestions/opinions/views.
I think that this class taught me a lot. I'm glad I took it right before I graduated, I plan on working in a big city (Milwaukee, Chicago, St. Louis) upon graduation and I realize that there will be a lot of diversity involved wherever I end up working. I think that my new openness and respect for other cultures will be key for fitting into my new work environment. I also believe that my new and better understanding of my own beliefs will help me better understand others. I think this was one of my better classes I took throughout college and it had nothing to do with my finance major, and I'm grateful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment